DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (PhD)
The Doctor of Engineering is a doctoral degree awarded on the basis of advanced study and research in engineering and applied sciences. This degree is essentially an engineering PhD with a solid industrial base and an additional taught element. It represents the highest academic qualification in engineering.
PhD in Engineering & Technology Courses varies from 3-5 academic years depending upon the students learning capability.
- The basic eligibility for a Doctoral program is Masters.
- The candidate need to qualify for NET and GATE as such exams under UGC guidelines or on the basis of marks secured in last qualifying exam.
- The candidate has to minimum obtain 60% in its Institute’s Final Exams.
- The mode of admission depends on the preference of respective college/ institute.
- UGC National Eligibility Test (NET)
- CSIR-UGC NET Exam
- IIST Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology Thiruvananthapuram PhD Admission Test
- TIFR Graduate School Admission Entrance Test
- Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi (JUN PhD Entrance)
- ISM Dhanbad PhD Admission Test
- BARC PhD Admission Test
College / Institutes
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Mumbai
- Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research India
- BITS Pilani
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre ( BARC )
- Indian School Of Mines, Dhanbad
- The University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
- University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
- Columbia University, New York, USA
- Duke University, Durham, USA
- Singapore University of Technology and Design, Singapore, Singapore
- Scientist- You can have a career in Research Institutions. You can apply for ISRO, DRDO and other for being a Scientist.
- Post-Secondary Professor- Postsecondary professor perform a broad array of tasks that include preparing courses, delivering lecturers, and evaluating student work.
Eligibility for Ph.D. in Engineering
- Candidates with a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record or a Master’s degree by Research in Engineering/ Technology disciplines, with a good academic record.
- Candidates with Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and of exceptional merit are eligible for the relevant Engineering discipline and with a valid GATE score or UGC/CSIR-JRF/ NBHM or equivalent qualification in the relevant area tenable for the year of registration. In the case of candidates with more than 5 years of relevant experience after the Master’s degree, the requirement of a test score may be waived by the Selection Committee.
- Candidates who have qualified for the award of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology with exceptionally good academic record in an eligible discipline will be considered for direct admission to PhD. Program as a regular full-time scholar subject to the following conditions: (I) B.Tech degree from one of the IITs, with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale. (II) Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology from any other University should be among the top 5% or 20 rank holders, declared by the University and having a valid GATE score. (III) Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/ Technology, serving for two years or more in a reputed R & D organiorganisationaving a proven research record.
Entrance Exam - Ph.D. (Engineering)