The Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT), for admission to management programmes in XLRI and XAT associated institutes, will be held on January 5.
XAT is the second most popular MBA Admission Test in India. More than 100 MBA institutes, including the XLRI, XIM, XIME, XISS and many other top institutes, use the test score as a primary screening tool for admission to their MBA courses. Most candidates for the CAT also undertake preparation for the XAT as it opens the gates to some of the most reputed MBA institutes in India.
How to prepare for XAT is a question that boggles many a test taker. You need to handle your XAT preparation in a planned manner to succeed by getting a good score. Here, we will try to provide you XAT preparation tips for the written part. Successful XAT preparation necessitates that you be familiar with the test and study as per a plan, supplemented by enough XAT practice tests. It would not be easy to quantify the number of hours you require for XAT preparation as people differ in their academic profiles, previous XAT preparation and subject proficiency.
Therefore, it would be impractical to have a one-size-fits-all XAT preparation plan, which suits everyone. Your XAT preparation plan will depend on familiarity, time and learning speed. Actually, how to prepare for XAT is a subjective question as the preparation for XAT has to be customized in each case.
Section-wise XAT 2020 preparation tips:
- There are a total of 22 questions that the candidates must solve in a time span of 40 minutes. Candidates must keep 5 minutes for revising the answered questions and attempting the unsolved questions
- The best way to clear this section is to first understand the subject-matter properly and then start solving the questions
- Take help from your mentors and seniors to study the subject well
- All you need to do is to have that good command over the questions on topics like Coding and Decoding, Data Arrangement Test, Numeric Grid, Analytical Reasoning and Logical Matching
- Take practice sessions on a regular basis so that you may solve the questions with full confidence and accuracy
- Experts advise that understanding the questions first and then attempting the solutions will give better results
- For Mathematical sections, practice on the equations and formulas that will help you solve the questions of this sections. This section includes questions of Arithmetic, Series, Situational, etc.
Verbal and logical ability
- Candidates must complete the 26 questions of this section is not less than 50 minutes
- The area judges candidates on their English language and grammar skills
- The seven sub-sections like Reverse Analogies or Analogies, Paragraph Completion, Reading Comprehension, Paragraph Jumble, Vocabulary, Critical inference/Reasoning and Grammar requires candidates' efforts and rigorous practice
- Reading newspapers and good journals will help candidates in going through the questions of this with ease
- Divide your study time according to the seven portions and then start practicing the related questions
- A good command over the paragraph jumble and reading comprehension will help candidates in being quick with these questions at the time of the main examination. This can be gained by solving similar type questions with timers on
- Candidates can take help from good English grammar books and other competitive books in order to improve practice and enhance knowledge.
Quantitative ability and data interpretation:
- The questions of Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation section must be answered in 45 minutes. There will be a total of 27 questions framed for this category of XAT 2020
- This paper is purely based on Mathematics and its types and functions. In order to conquer this field of XAT 2020, candidates first need to clear their Mathematical concepts and formulas
- Taking help from mentors and seniors are considered to be good for this section. Candidates can also take admission in some reputed coaching centers, that will them guide through the subject-matter
- Making notes of the different processes of solving equations and formulas, is also a good study plan for clearing this portion
- Candidates must also keep a track of the time taken to solve a particular type of question/s so that at the time main examination maximum numbers gets answered in the provided time
- The more the questions of QA and DI are practiced, the more confidence candidates will gain, increasing their speed and performance.
- 40 minutes devoted to this section is considered to be a good time duration. A total of 25 questions will be in store for the candidates
- Candidates who have full confidence over this section, must finish it in 30 minutes and keep the rest 10 minutes for the overall revision of the answered paper
- Different sectors are covered in this circumference of XAT 2020. These include International Relations, Nation & States, Politics, Business, Economy, Commerce, Science, Geography, Sports, History, etc
- To overcome this section, best would be to connect with the current affairs with the help of news and newspapers, internet and journals, books and magazines, etc
- Keeping a track of the latest news and reading in detail about the burning issues of the society, will help candidates to cover this section with ease
- Group discussion among friends and with teachers will also be a good way to approach this section of XAT 2020
- Candidates must have a curious and intriguing mind while reading or studying about a topic or issue. This will help them in acquiring more and more knowledge about that particular topic.