The School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi was started in 1941 as the Department of Architecture of the Delhi College of Engineering now the Delhi Technological University (DTU). In 1959 it was merged with the School of Town and Country Planning (established 1955), renamed to its current name and affiliated to the University of Delhi. In 1979 the institute was granted Deemed University status. In 2008, Government of India established two more SPAs, namely SPA Bhopal and SPA Vijaywada. In 2014, Lok Sabha passed a bill to make all the three SPAs "centre of excellence" on the pattern of IITs and IIMs now it is a college of national importance.