The Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira is a fully residential degree college for boys affiliated to the University of Calcutta founded in 1941 by the Ramakrishna Mission. The name 'Vidyamandira' was given by Swami Vivekananda in 1898 who had envisioned such an institution modeled on the ancient Indian 'Gurukula' system. Swami Vimuktanandaji and Swami Tejasanandaji Maharajs were the first Secretary and the first principal, respectively, of this premier institute of higher learning.
It was accredited 'A+' grade by the NAAC, India in 2005. In 2013 the college was re-accredited by NAAC with CGPA 3.120 out of 4 according to the present gradation policy. At the very beginning, it started as an intermediate arts college. In the year between 1945 and 1946, the college got affiliation in commerce and science subjects. It was upgraded into a three-year degree college from July 1960. The higher secondary section was added in September 1978 and later on discontinued as per the West Bengal state government policy. In the year 1994, two new courses, B.Sc (Major) in Computer Applications and Industrial Chemistry commenced under the UGC scheme of vocationalization of degree education. B.Sc (Major) in Computer Application was changed to B.Sc Computer Science Honours course in 2009 academic session. Postgraduate courses in Bengali, Sanskrit, Mathematics and Applied Chemistry have been introduced recently.From 2013 July academic session postgraduate course in Philosophy was introduced