Sri Ramachandra University, ranked among the top health sciences universities in India, had its origin as Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute which was established by Sri Ramachandra Educational and Health Trust in the year 1985 as a private not-for-profit self-financing institution and dedicated to serve the society as a centre of excellence with emphasis on medical education, research and health care. The Trust achieved the task of establishing the Institution as a “Centre of Excellence” under the leadership of Late Shri.N.P.V.Ramasamy Udayar who was the Founder & Managing Trustee of the Trust and also the first Chancellor of the Deemed University. Shri. V.R. Venkataachalam is currently the Chancellor of the University and is also the Managing Trustee of the Trust.
In view of its academic excellence, the Government of India declared Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute as a Deemed University in September, 1994 under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956. As notified by the UGC, the nomenclature of the institution has been changed to Sri Ramachandra University in 2006
Over three decades, the institute has transformed into a full fledged university with nine constituent college/faculties - Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute and Faculties of Dentistry, Pharmacy, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Allied Health Sciences, Management, Biomedical Sciences, Technology & Research and Public Health offering 99 U.G. and P.G. courses in health care sciences. with a faculty strength of 919, with 5320 students receiving teaching training under them,(Faculty: Student ratio 1:6) during the academic year 2015-16.