The Agricultural Institute was established under the leadership of Dr. Sam Higginbottom, in 1910, as an ecumenical Institution of the Christian Churches and Church organizations in India. Dr. Sam Higginbottom came to India in 1903 and joined the North India Mission of the Presbyterian Church. From 1903 to 1909, he taught economics and science in the Allahabad Christian College, presently known as Ewing Christian College, and at the same time studied the local dialect. During this period, he became a familiar figure in the surrounding villages. He also saw and observed the living conditions of the villagers and was deeply concerned about the ancient system of agriculture that contributed to low productivity and thus led to extreme poverty amongst them. He was also genuinely disturbed by the vast gulf between the urban Christian and the rural masses. For several months he contemplated upon the Christian neglect of the villages and ultimately by the end of 1909 he decided to bridge this gulf by establishing an agricultural school, which he envisioned would educate the village boys, introduce improved agricultural methods and cooperate with the local farmers in solving their practical agriculture related problems. He also took over the responsibility of supervising a home for lepers. This home was operated by the Allahabad Charitable Association,but since the home did not have adequate facilities for providing food, clothing and shelter, the lepers often left and wandered into the city as beggars.