Gandhigram Rural University, founded in 1956, is situated near Dindigul in Tamil Nadu, India. Dr.T.S.Soundaram and Dr.G.Ramachandran developed the institute. The Gandhigram Rural Institute (GRI) was founded there in 1956 to carry on Mahatma Gandhi’s ‘Nai Talim’ system of education. In 1976 it was declared as Deemed University, by University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi, Under Section 3 of UGC Act 1956.It is fully funded by UGC. In 2006 it was renamed Gandhigram Rural Institute as per the guidelines of UGC. Again, as per UGC guidelines, the name of the institute has been changed to Gandhigram Rural Institute in 2009.
With devotion to Mahatma Gandhi’s revolutionary concept of ‘Nai Talim’ system of education, Gandhigram Rural Institute has developed academic programmes in Rural Development, Rural Economics and Extension Education, Rural Oriented Sciences, Cooperation, Development Administration, Rural Sociology, English and Foreign Languages, and, Tamil and Indian Languages.
The work of the institute invited national attention and the Government of India (Ministry of Education), on the recommendation of the University Grants Commission, conferred the status of a Deemed University on the institute under Section (3) of the UGC Act of 1956, on 3 August 1976.
The institute has developed into a major educational complex, comprising seven faculties, offering in 50 programmes. It awards Doctoral, Master’s and Bachelor’s Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates through its seven academic faculties: Rural Development, Rural Social Sciences, Rural Oriented Sciences, English and Foreign Languages, Tamil, Indian Languages and Rural Arts, Rural Health and Sanitation, and, Agriculture and Animal Husbandry.
It has 3000 students and 150 teaching and 250 non-teaching staff.
The institute was accredited with Five Star status by NAAC, in February 2002.It was re-accredited with A grade in 2010.