MUMBAI: After shutting the first year junior college (FYJC) admissions website for maintenance on Wednesday, the state’s school education department has decided to extend the application deadline if students encounter any problems on Thursday. The site will be opened at 10 am.
Education minister Vinod Tawde had declared that the site was shut for a day after it repeatedly crashed over the weekend, unable to handle the load. The officials later said it had been repaired and students would be able to access it on Thursday. “We were told by Nysa Asia, which looks after the site, that it has been repaired,” said BB Chavan, deputy director of education, Mumbai region. The capacity of the servers to prevent it from crashing again.
According to the department, more than 30,000 aspirants are yet to register for online admissions, which are scheduled to close on June 27. Form filling had started from June 16. However, the last day for admissions would be extended, said officers, depending on the site’s performance on Thursday.
“We will give three to four days’ extra time to students to fill their forms if the admission portal doesn’t work properly even on Thursday,” said Chavan. Guidance centres set up across the city received calls from students and parents worried about filling the forms. “Some students were unaware that the site is closed for technical problems. We were flooded with calls from panicked students,who were worried what would happen to their forms,” said Suvarna Sawant, guidance officer at Narayan Guru College of Commerce, Chembur.
Tawde’s said on Wednesday that applications saved on the website would stay intact. Students will be able to access them and complete them once the site is repaired.
Pralahad Waghmare, guidance officer at KE Society’s VK High School and Junior College, Panvel, said, “There is more panic this year as online admissions are compulsory for everyone. So if any one misses out on applying, they will be left out.”