Facing the S.S.C. Examination without stress
While writing the answer paper of any subject what is most important is the “time management” especially in case of English. Many students always complain that time is not enough, the paper is very lengthy and they cannot complete it in time.
- By Prof. Mrs. Manasi Ranjekar
So before going to the examination hall, you should plan properly, how much time you are going to spend on each "activity". Keep more time for the activities based on the various writing skills.
The most important part of the paper is the part based on “written communication”
In the first paragraph mention the sole purpose for writing the letter in 2-3 lines.
The second paragraph should be descriptive. Here one writes something regarding to the subject and the last paragraph should conclude the letter in a polite way.
2. Report writing: - give importance to proper headlines, place line and dateline. They carry separate marks. Divide the report into three paragraphs.
In the first one, describe what happened, where it happened, at what time it happen and who was there. Basically, first paragraph should answer all major “Wh” questions.
In the second paragraph, describe the major highlights of the event in brief sequentially.
In the third paragraph, conclude the report in one or two sentences.
3. Information transfer: - non-verbal to verbal is more preferable as it consume less time. Write it only in one paragraph covering half or more than half page. Don’t write too much. Keep it brief and simple.
4. Interview questions: - frame 10 questions give an introduction about the person who you are interviewing in one or two sentences. Keep the questions simple. You can always ask the following questions for any type of interview
5.View counterview: - if you are not confident it is better to avoid this question. If you attempt it, you have to be precise enough while conveying your view/ counterview
6. Speech writing: -very similar to expand the idea. You can practice this at home. You can begin like this, “Honourable Principal”. Respected teachers and my friends, good morning to all. Today I am going to speak on -----------
And then divide the speech into paragraphs enrich the speech with some quotes, examples, case studies etc. You need to write in a creative way. There should be spoken quality of English in it as it is a speech, although you are writing it. Quality content is expected.
In case of dialogue, writing remember to use spoken English if possible, try some exclamatory words.
Some important tips: -
Put your best foot forward, be successful in time management and write down what you know, confidently.
Nido Qubein says, “Efforts may fail, but you should not fail to make efforts”
All the Best.
The Writer Mrs. Manasi Ranjekar is The Vice Principal of Abasaheb Garware Junior College.
She has been a teacher of English since 1983. She was appointed as a member of The Board of Studies in 2003 and was involved in the preparation of the textbooks of 9th,10th,11th,12th (Egnlish & Marathi Medium) standard. She has worked as a resource person for various teacher training programs. She has given several lectures on the changed question paper pattern of English.