Science with PCM (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics) is the one of the most preferred courses after class 10th. After two years of rigorous studies of science subjects with Mathematics in +2, the biggest question that arises in a student's mind is what career option to choose now. A right career option becomes a matter of concern not only for the students but their parents also. Engineering is generally the most common option that comes to most of the students. However, there are a range of career opportunities which can be pursued in addition to engineering. Choosing a right option is not an easy task and it depends upon several factors like your aptitude, interest and the career prospects it has. Do you have precise thinking and skill of logical reasoning Do you have passion of solving mathematical problems? If the answers of above questions are "yes" then this article will help you discover major career options available to you as a student of Science stream with Mathematics after class 12th. Some of the top career options are: -
1. B.Tech/B.E. - Engineering is one of the most sought after courses in our country. There are several branches of engineering which guarantee bright career to students. Some of the most
popular branches are as follows:
2. In India there are many Universities and Colleges that offer B Tech / B E courses. Top among them are IITs or Indian Institute of Technology which have been set up across the country to impart the best courses in engineering. At present there are 16 IITs. They are:
There are 30 NIT's located in various parts of the country that offer B. Tech courses. They are:
There are IIITs (Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management ) in the country which specialise in software and IT. They are:
Admission Process - The admission to the undergraduate programmes at the IITs and ISMU (Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad), NITs, IIITs and other colleges and institutes are based on a two tier tests consisting of JEE Main and JEE Advanced. Earlier, in place of JEE Main and JEE Advanced there were AIEEE and IIT JEE.
JEE Main - The JEE Main will be conducted online as well as offline. The merit list for admission to NITs, IIITs and other institutes will be prepared by giving 40 percent weightage to Class 12th or equivalent exam marks and 60 percent to the performance in JEE Main examination.
JEE Advanced - The second stage is called the JEE Advanced in which top 2 lakh rankers of JEE Main will be eligible to appear in this test. Admissions to IITs will be based only on category wise All India Rank in JEE Advanced. The successful students must also be in the top 20 percentile of their 12th Board Exams in applicable categories.
Besides the Joint Entrance Exams, different states also conduct entrance exams for the state engineering colleges. Several reputed engineering colleges like VIT conduct their own entrance exam for admission to B.Tech courses.
2. BSc (Honours) - BSc (Hons) in Physics, Chemistry or Mathematics will help you in making a career in academics and research. Doing a master degree after graduation will take you to the world of academics and research where you can work as a junior research fellow in any research institute or you can pursue a career as a lecturer in a university. Jobs are also available in chemical industry, pharmaceutical industry, or in government organizations like ONGC.
3. BSc (Electronics) - Electronics is a branch of science that deals with the electrical circuits that involve active electrical components. A degree course in Electronics enables students with skills which are required to design electrical, electronic, computer, digital system design, automation and communication systems. There are many colleges and institutes that offer undergraduate course in Electronics. As Electronic applications are widely in use and electronic equipments have become a basic necessity in today's world, there are better job opportunities in this field. Jobs after B.Sc Electronics are available both in public as well as private sector. Government PSUs like Bharat Electronics & Communication Limited, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) , National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) provide good career opportunities to graduates in Electronics.
4. BSc (Computer Science) - If you are an innovative thinker who is passionate about computer then BSc in Computer Science is a perfect choice for you. Many universities/institutes/college offer the undergraduate course that prepares you to become a high-impact professional who takes part in building the digital future. There are plenty of job opportunities in Software Development companies, system maintenance centres, manufacturing companies, government organisation where you can work as Software Engineer, Developer, Programmer, Programmer Analyst and DTP Operator. Option of higher studies like M.Sc (Computer Science) is also available that will boost your career prospect.
5. BSc (Statistics) - The three year undergraduate course in Statistics is best suited for those students who have good reasoning ability and mathematical aptitude with a curious and disciplined mind. You should have good problem solving, decision making and verbal skill to opt for this course. There are many colleges and institutes in the country that offer BSc in Statistics that requires mathematics as a core subject in +2. There are jobs of Statistics Manager, Analyst, Statistics Consultant, Credit Risk Strategist, Marker Research Analyst, Researcher, etc. in private and public sectors.
6. Bachelor of Fashion Technology - The glamorous world of fashion is for those who have creative aptitude and imaginative ability. Fashion technology deals with a vast field of studies in colour mixing, design, design management, fabric design, fashion merchandise, fashion accessory design, printing, textile science, etc. A bachelor degree in Fashion Technology is a gateway to a glittering career offering you lucrative jobs. There are numerous institutes across the country that offer undergraduate course in Fashion Technology. National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) is the premier institute in this field. It conducts an entrance exam for the admission to various courses related to fashion. There are excellent job opportunities in fashion industries and in garment, textile, leather industry.
7. Bachelor of Design - The vast field of Design is for those of you who have interest in drawing things that reflect your thoughts and ideas. It is a creative field offering jobs in fashion related industries like garments, leathers, textiles etc. An undergraduate course in Fashion and Interior Design course enables you to create original designs in garments, footwear, jewelleries, etc. It deals with the latest market trends in these industries. You will be offered jobs such as Costume Designer, Graphic Designer, Fashion Consultant, Technical Designer, Illustrator, etc in garment manufacturing units and garment store chains, jewellery houses, leather companies, textile mills, etc.
8. BCA - If you have a keen interest in Computers and want to make your career in the field of computer applications then the right choice for you is BCA or Bachelor in Computer Applications. It is a three year degree course that focus mainly on programming languages. You need to have Mathematics and English as core subjects in class 12th to opt or this course. There are entrance tests conducted by several colleges for admission to BCA. After BCA, you can further your career by pursuing MCA that will make you at par with B.Tech degree holders.
9. B.Arch - Architecture deals with the activity of designing and constructing buildings. The three year undergraduate course in Architecture or B.Arch requires Mathematics as one of the core subjects at +2 level.There are several colleges/institutes that offer B.Arch. There is a Council of Architecture that conducts National Aptitude Test in Architecture and candidates seeking admission to the course should take this test. With real estate sector making the core of infrastructure and economy , B.Arch offers you jobs of Architect, Architecture Draftsman, Consultant, Interior Designer, Data Analyst, Architectural Assistant, etc.
Besides these major undergraduate courses there are options of government jobs through Staff Selection Commission (SSC). The Army, Navy and Air Force also offer a range of careers to aspirants who are +2 pass. For students who are not in a position to pursue a degree course, there are several diploma courses in this stream which offer you good jobs and provide you an option of higher studies to be par with engineering students.